Zero-turn mowers are popular among many homeowners and farmers for maintaining their lawns neat. They offer a wide range of benefits like maneuverability, fast-moving, eat less weed, comfortable and more options. Before you buy the best zero turn mower for rough terrain, it is great to consider the power and the cutting width, among other aspects.
We will explore top turn mowers suitable for rough terrain. These mowers will help you maintain large grass even and tidy for the best look. Check our top picks to find out which one will suit your lawn’s needs.
Are Zero Turn Mowers Good On Rough Terrain?
Zero-turn mowers are great on rough terrains because they offer easy maneuverability. This gives you the efficiency you need when trimming the grass. The mowers feature lap sticks that make them move forward and reverse faster, unlike other mowers. Additionally, they are easy to navigate in tight spaces.
These mowers can cover around 22,000 feet hence perfect for yard jobs. They have a power ranging from 12 to 15 HP, which is ideal for rough and uneven terrains.
Users also find these mowers more comfortable on rough terrains. You don’t have to struggle with the steering wheel to reach places. Some models feature comfortable seats, while others have an adjustable weight seat to suit your needs.
Another reason why zero turn mowers are good on rough terrains is their faster operation hence save more time. Their low center of gravity ensures safe operation at high speeds. Additionally, you will love using them because they have a larger deck so that you can cover a larger area in a few passes.
Lastly, zero-turn mowers give you a good looking lawn. So, you can achieve nice stripes on your lawn for an amazing appearance.
Table of Content:
If you would like to read any part of this content, click the links below to get there right away.
- Best Zero Turn Mower for Rough Terrain Reviews 2020
- Zero Turn Mower Vs. Riding Mower: Which One Is Better?
- Which One Is Better?
We have included this comparison chart to help you see the best aspects of our top zero turn mowers at a glance.
Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower
Husqvarna Z242F 42 in. 18 HP Kawasaki Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
RedMax New RZT48 48″ Deck Riding Zero-Turn Mower
Simplicity 2691318 Courier Mower
Best Zero Turn Mower for Rough Terrain Reviews 2020
If you have rough terrain, you need to get the best zero turn mower for rough terrain. This will help you maintain your lawn or yard neat and healthy. We have research on your behalf to simplify your work when buying. Read these top reviews to figure out which zero turn mower for rough terrains meets your mowing requirements.
1. Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. 27 HP Briggs & Stratton Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
Husqvarna is among the top brands that produce quality lawnmowers. If you need the most durable zero-turn mower, get the Husqvarna MZ61. Using the mower is easy and comfortable. It features rubber isolators separating the frame and the user. Therefore, you can operate this mower without fatigue.
The seat of the mower is ergonomic, so you can ride for many hours without feeling uncomfortable. Additionally, it features ergonomic controls to make adjustments easy. The mower provides a 0-degree turn radius to make maneuvering precise. You will also find a convenient hour miter with a reminder that lets you know when you should service the machine.
This best commercial zero turn mower for rough terrain also features a collection bag to boost versatility and productivity. Its simple design offers easy installation in less time. It is also easy for you to reach the service points to maintain the oil, filter battery, electrical system, and other components.
Husqvarna MZ61 Features:
- It has a removable foot pan to make it easy for you to access the spindles, belt pulleys, and easy cleaning.
- The deck lifting system provides easy and quick height adjustment from the seat of the user.
- It is equipped with a hydraulic wheel drive to give you easy maneuvering and rotation on its axis.
- It has many comfortable features like the seat, controls, and rubber isolators to separate you from the frame.
- 11-gauge steel cutting deck offers a 54-inch cut, and the 27 HP engine gives reliable startups.
2. Ariens 915223 IKON-X 52″ Zero Turn Mower
If you have a medium or small lawn, this is the top-rated zero turn mower for the job. It features a 23 hp engine to give you faster mowing. This zero turn mower has vibration damping capabilities, which lead to smoother cuts. It provides a cutting height with 13 settings so you can make cuts in 1.5-4.5 inch increments.
This mower is designed to handle tougher jobs like mowing a golf course. It also features a friendly design and durable construction. This makes the mower suitable for both professionals and beginners who want to maintain their neat and even lawns. For operating comfort, this mower has armrests and high backrest. Additionally, it has a padded levers to reduce vibrations.
The fuel gauge helps you know the amount of gas left. Moreover, it has a visual fuel gauge that indicates when you should refill the tank. Therefore, you will not be caught unaware of the lawn and run out of gas.
Ariens 915223 Features:
- Has a powerful 23 hp Kawasaki engine that provides incredible speed and cutting performance.
- User-friendly design and durable construction make the mower suitable for all users.
- It has 2 hydrostatic EZT transaxles to enhance reaction time and easy control.
- Driving the mower is easier because it has a hydraulic gear drive, and you don’t need to change the speed manually.
- It provides a cutting width of 52 inches so you can use it to mow lawns from 1-5 hectares.
3. Husqvarna Z242F 42 in. 18 HP Kawasaki Hydrostatic Zero Turn Riding Mower
Having a low power mower can make your work slow and less efficient. Take your mowing jobs to a higher level with the Husqvarna Z242F 42 in. This is the best riding lawn mower for rough terrain that doesn’t compromise when it comes to performance and power.
The mower features an 18 hp Kawasaki engine to provide the required mowing power. You will also love its turf cutting muscle to make your yard or lawn look at its best. With the deck lift, it is easy to put a perfect position to put the 42-inch clearcut.
This mower is safe and comfy to use. It features a great control panel combined with an anti-slip foot area, so mowing is safe. The mower gives you a no-maintenance transmission so you can use it for various cutting jobs. You will also love the high-performance blades that offer excellent cutting.
Husqvarna Z242F Features:
- 18 hp Kawasaki engine that provides a high speed of 6.5 mph and reliable startups.
- This zero turn mower is hydrostatic so that it can handle a wide range of cutting applications.
- You can choose to bag, mulch, or discharge clippings. However, buy the bagger attachment and mulching kit separately.
- The mower is equipped with the best quality blades for a superb cutting performance.
- Features anti-slip foot area and a convenient control panel to provide safe use.
4. RedMax New RZT48 48″ Deck Riding Zero-Turn Mower
Give your lawn a professional look with this RedMax lawnmower. The machine features a high-performance Kawasaki engine to give reliable mowing power all the time. It has an 18-inch-high back seat that ensures users get maximum comfort. When it comes to durability, the machine features a tubular frame to offer unmatched longevity.
This is a perfect mower for people who want to add accessories to meet their needs. The mower also provides easy maneuverability, thanks to the hydraulic wheel drive that lets the mower rotate on its axis. Controlling this mower is also easy since the control panel is located at a convenient and accessible place.
The mower is easy to haul and suitable for long hauls. It features a cutting width of 48 inches and a 10-gauge fabricated cutting deck made of stainless steel to offer durability and reliable use. This mower can mulch, collect, as well as side discharge.
RedMax New RZT48 Features:
- 48 inch cutting with and the 3-piece blades offer professional mowing all seasons.
- The mower has a reliable and high-performance Kawasaki engine that uses gasoline.
- Equipped with a comfortable seat and the frame features a robust construction for long term durability.
- The mower has a hydraulic wheel drive to provide easy maneuvering and rotation on its axis.
- The footrest of the mower features a non-slip surface to offer safe and comfortable operation.
5. Simplicity 2691318 Courier Mower
Maintain your lawn neat with this cheap zero turn mower. The machine is functional and highly versatile to meet your home mowing requirements. It is suitable for rough terrain because it features a suspension comfort system that absorbs bumps as you ride, so all rides are smooth and comfortable. You will also love the ergonomic mesh seat that gives you comfort and ensures you are cool, especially on hot days.
The mower brags of a professional series v-twin engine ensure you have the needed power for the work. Unlike other zero-turn mowers, this one features a utility cargo bed so you can transport up to 50 pounds. Moreover, it is easy to navigate with the zero-turn maneuverability. For more convenience of use, this zero turn mower has an integrated parking brake.
Another admirable aspect of this mower is the commercial-like design. All the components of the mower are designed to offer longevity for many years. You will appreciate the fully welded steel frame, mower deck, ball bearing, and the thick-walled pivoting axle that offer durability. Additionally, it has a foot adjustable cut height to make it easy to use.
Simplicity 2691318 Features:
- The suspension comfort system provides 25% less impact as compared to other mowers with no suspension.
- The mower features durable components to provide you with longevity for many years to come.
- Zero-turn maneuverability makes navigation in your yard or lawn easy, and you will enjoy a 13-point adjustable cut height.
- It is equipped with a utility cargo bed that can transport up to 50 pounds on your lawn.
- The mower features a v-twin engine to offer plenty of power for your mowing jobs.
Zero Turn Mower Vs. Riding Mower: Which One Is Better?
If you are looking for quality mowers for your yard or lawn, you will come across zero-turn mowers and riding mowers. While you can use both for cutting grass, there are some differences in cost, function, maneuverability, and speed. Let’s check them in detail to help you decide.
Zero Turn Mower:
These are incredible mowers that can make 180-degree sharp turns. This makes them suitable for navigating terrains with obstacles. Therefore, if you have poles or trees in your yard, a zero turn mower is a perfect selection.
These mowers also offer better performance on flat surfaces. However, they are not ideal for sloppy terrains. Compared to riding mowers, zero-turn mowers move faster on flat terrains so you can cut the grass faster.
Choosing a zero-turn mower will give you the best performance when cutting grass. However, you don’t have the option to add other attachments.
A riding mower is a great pick if you want to navigate through hilly terrains. They work better than zero turns on such terrains. These mowers feature larger tires and a low center of gravity hence retain a good grip when mowing hilly terrains.
A riding mower is designed with a wide turn radius compared to zero turns. This makes them ideal for wide and open spaces that do not have many obstacles. With the large turning radius, it is tough to achieve uniform cutting because you need to make many passes on a particular area for even cuts.
These mowers are not faster on flat terrains, so you will take long cutting grass. You can haul a cart using this mower, and some models allow you to add some accessories like lawn sweepers or blowers.
Which One Is Better?
Choosing a mower depends on the terrain. If you want to cut grass on flat ground, then a zero turn mower is the best. On the other hand, if you want to cut grass on hilly terrain, get a riding mower.
If you want a mower that is easy to maneuver, then go for a zero-turn mower. It also gives easy navigation through obstacles. If you want to add attachments or haul things, get a riding mower.
In regards to the prices, these two mowers almost cost the same. So, the decision lies in your hands, so you can choose a perfect lawnmower depending on the terrain.
Frequently Asked Question
To select the best zero turn lawn mower, some questions may arise in your mind. Here we tried to help you out by answering some frequently asked questions:
Is a zero turn lawn mower for rough terrain easy to operate?
What size zero turn mower do I need?
Can you pull an aerator with a zero turn mower?
How long should a zero turn mower last?
How long does it take to mow an acre with a zero turn mower?
If you have a large lawn and want to maintain the grass neat, get the best zero turn mower for rough terrain. When picking the right model, it is advisable to consider the brand and get zero turn mowers from reputable brands. This will give you top quality and reliable products. You should think about other great features, including the weight, deck width, comfort, and engine power and size.
From our top picks, we recommend the Husqvarna MZ61 61 in. for rough terrains. This is a fast, powerful, and heavy-duty zero turn mower that provides smoothing riding and ease of use. The mower features many ergonomic features and offers commercial-grade power to maintain your lawns.